Please read our disclaimer before trying this carry.
Doing a back carry for the first time can be daunting. The method is a secure way to get baby on your back while always keeping him contained in the soft structured carrier. It is also great for those times you want to transfer from a front carry to a back carry without letting the baby down. Watch VBE Suzanne demonstrate this beginner friendly way of getting baby onto your back in a soft structured carrier. Suzanne starts with baby in a front carry.
1. Start out in a front carry. Make sure the chest clip is secured.
2. Loosen both shoulder straps.
3. Slip one arm through the strap and under the strap.
4. Slip the other arm out and over the shoulder strap.
5. The straps should now cross with one over a shoulder and the other under your arm.
6. Shift baby around your body towards the side where the strap is UNDER your arm.
7. Continue to scoot baby around until he is centered on your back.
8. Slip arms back into the shoulder straps, one at a time.
9. Tighten up on the straps and adjust carrier to the perfect fit.
10. There you have it! Note: you may need to slightly loosen the waist strap to shift baby around.
We hope this helped and please do not be afraid to ask questions! You can email questions to our Education chair at Education (at) BabywearingHamptonRoads (dot) Org any time.
Photo tutorial not doin’ it for you? No worries. Check out Babywearing International of Hampton Roads’s YouTube channel for more information and tutorials!